Thursday, June 4, 2020

I used to volunteer at Ronald McDonald House in Palo Alto they always wanted me to work in the office, but I really wanted to keep the children entertained. I was able to do it a few times and it was fun. We baked cookies, played board games and painted finger nails.

I also volunteered at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital. I was merely supposed to help with the babies/children when there were getting their blood drawn. When one of the phlebotomists was trying to draw on a baby, suddenly he said, "Here, you do it." That was odd. I was a phlebotomist, but I only was a volunteer, not an employee. I would have subjected the hospital to possible lawsuit and myself and the employee to a lot of problems. It was a very small, fussy baby, so I could see why he was nervous to do the draw.

I volunteered at Kaiser Santa Clara, running all over the hospital doing, errands. I was timed on how fast I could do each errand,  but I was cut no slack for not knowing how to get all around the hospital on the second time of volunteering there. I had a few words to say about it....

I worked volunteering at a food bank in San Jose. It was a large very open wearhouse, with a completely open front, so it was often very cold.  Again, the manager wanted me to work in the office, but I wanted to hand out food and say hello to the people. Volunteering always seemed to have less pressure than a paying job, which made it more fun.

I was thinking about volunteering around here too, but my world felt too uncertain and my emotions were not entirely steady. I was doing a lot of crying and was somewhat frozen with shock. My sleeping has been erratic too. I was also doing legal research and trying to find help. It was mostly an effort in futility, but I knew it all, basically. I know the story inside and out. I have been greatly appalled.  I have survived. It was touch and go sometimes.



No comments:

Post a Comment