Wednesday, June 24, 2020

I just got colorful paper bendy straws in the mail today! It's the little things, right? :-)
 
I wonder if they still make the straws that have the flavor in them....or Fizzies?
Terribly bad for a person, but....!

One of my favorite meals, but rarely have is: a tuna sandwich with french fries, with a stack of sweet pickles (so there is pickle in each bite) and a choc shake all from the Creamery in Palo Alto (next to my fav of stores, the Unicef store. Pasadena had a massive Unicef store where I bought all my clothes. They were pretty, but had to be hand washed carefully, because the colors ran terribly). I was a Bohemian. I had a best friend named Georgeane, who looked like Cher and she would take me "to the clubs" to go dancing....they were all men who were only interested in dancing with us. That was great! All the fun w/o the grope! Sometimes we came dragging (no pun intended) at like 6 am, or sometimes went straight to work at the Federal Reserve Bank in LA. I worked for the Treasury Dept. as needed and as a currency sorter, looking for counterfeits. (Where I got my eye for noticing forgeries.)   

Each morning I went from Pasadena to LA to get to work. I always had cars that would surprise me and not start. My VW seemed to have a problem with the battery draining, so each morning, so I would push it down the street and down a steep apartment complex driveway and would pop the clutch as it rolled forward down the driveway, praying it would start prior to reaching the bottom, because if it hadn't started by bottom, I rolled it back up the hill backward and tried again, until it DID start! Then, when I got my '64 Alfa, it too would be sporting a dead battery in the a.m. So, routinely, until I could buy a new battery, I got up early, yanked out the battery and ran it down the street to a garage and had them charge it while I got ready for work, then back again after the charge......prior to vehicle ownership, I rode the bus, or when I missed it, thumbed a ride. Walking in LA was pretty hairy. People would drive rudely and nearly run over me, so I got into the habit of kicking their doors with my wooden clog(s). No one ever gave me trouble for it.  One time, I was given a ride near the Jewelry District by someone in a limo. He showed me his jewelry making business. He was an Arab man and wanted me for his harem, I think....no thanks! I think my mother was disappointed. Another time, I was asked by a woman to pose nude for a magazine. I took her card and said I had to ask my mother, but never even considered it. I started to become shy about walking in public.

I liked to get an egg salad sandwich with sprouts at a health food store with a counter, or other times, a turkey sandwich at Stottlemeyer's deli; they made the BEST sandwiches in Pasadena, but nothing beat Nate n' Al's in LA. (now closed :-(  ) A friend and I would go there, have lox and scrambled eggs, or a thick turkey sandwich on Jewish rye with Russian dressing and read Variety.
 
I truly think that a deli sandwich is the king of food!
(Nothing like that here!)
xxo!   

No comments:

Post a Comment